The importance of physical activity has been an ongoing theme throughout the pandemic. Schools have had to get creative to ensure that students are getting enough physical activity. Walkabouts have been a valuable tool for incorporating movement into school days whether at home, hybrid, or within in-person classroom settings. That’s why we are excited to announce our 2021 Stay Active! Summer Challenge aimed to keep students excited about physical activity and keeping active this summer.
The 2021 Stay Active! Summer Challenge encourages students to stay physically active during the summer. We encourage teachers, school leaders, and caregivers to participate in the initiative where students will complete easy and fun weekly movement challenges throughout the summer.
Move and Share
Encourage students and their families to participate. For each challenge, participants should post a photo to Twitter or Facebook that illustrates the challenge, include the hashtag #summerwalkabouts, and tag their teacher and/or school.
We encourage creativity and want to see EVERYONE take on the challenge, including YOU!
*Every social media post related to the challenge is an automatic entry to a drawing for a $250 back-to-school gift card! On August 2, we will compile all entries and draw two lucky winners at random consisting of one family and one teacher or school.
*By submitting your photo to the Stay Active! Summer Challenge, you are agreeing to give ActivEd, Inc. permission to use the photos in promotional materials. Review the full terms here.
A simple activity will be added to this blog post every week beginning on June 1, 2021.
Do you have a favorite yoga pose that you can tie in with nature? Grab your yoga mat or towel and head outside for some fun yoga. Pick your favorite spot, whether it’s in your backyard, at a park, or on a nature hike. The only requirement is that you are outside.
Here are some ideas for some yoga poses you can try, but feel free to come up with your own!
- Start with both feet on the ground, standing tall.
- Bend one leg at the knee and bring your foot off the ground slightly.
- Press the sole of your foot onto your calf or inner thigh.
- Raise your arms to become tree branches.
- Sit on the ground and bring the soles of your feet together. Draw your heels towards you and allow your knees to relax.
- Grab your toes and inhale being sure to sit up straight.
- Bend forward as you exhale keeping your spine long.
- Take a breath as you gently sit up.
- Flap your butterfly wings (legs).